- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (Make sure they are natural with no additives!)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (again make sure this is just apples, nothing else!)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 16-ounce package mixed dried-fruit bits (read the label to ensure there is no added sugar or coloring)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (roast the sunflower seeds first for a nutty flavor)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark-chocolate chips (read the label here!)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Set pan aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, both flours, ground flaxseeds, and ginger. Add egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and oil; mix well. Stir in fruit bits, roasted sunflower seeds, walnuts, and chocolate chips.
3. Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool completely on a wire rack. Use edges of foil to lift cooked granola from pan, and cut into bars.