Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Stir Fry 101

I love a stir fry that is loaded with veggies. Recently I have also been adding in tofu as well as soba, buckwheat noodles. YUM!

Here are some key tips when stir frying:

Tofu: Before I start my stir fry, I grill up my tofu. I like there to be a crisp edge on the tofu square, which gives it more texture. In a saute pan add grape seed oil (remember olive oil is a dressing, should not be used for hot cooking methods!) and saute the tofu until lightly browned on all sides.

Soba Noodles: I typically cook for about 3 mins (less than the package says!) If you over cook these noodles they can feel like slimy worms, so make sure you are checking the noodles periodically. I also prefer the thin noodles to the thicker ones. Less calories and bulk!

Veggies: The great thing about this dish is that you can throw whatever you like in! Tonight I added mushrooms, zucchini, red pepper, garlic, and swiss chard.

Seasoning: Never add the "dressing" while the stir fry is cooking. You will end up evaporate the liquid leaving behind all the sodium. I like to mix 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar (unseasoned) and 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce into a bowl and pour on right before serving- change the measurements for the size of your stir fry.

I like to cook all the above components separately then once they are complete throw it into the saute pan for one final stir/reheat to mix in the seasoning.

What are your favorite stir fry combos?

No comments:

Post a Comment